Thursday, February 25, 2010

That Wallpaper

Sometimes I just assume that my readers have already read about something so I don't mention it. But apparently not everyone does know about the zebra wallpaper that was featured in one of Kate and Andy Spade's bathroom above because I've had quite a few people email me about it. The Zebra wallpaper is available from Scalamandre and has a fun back story.

Gino Circiello, who although born in Buenes Aires had an Italian father who worked as a chef so after he immigrated to the United States, Gino decided to open an Italian restaurant at 780 Lexington Avenue in New York with two of his friends. According to The New York Times, "Mr. Circiello was a hunter without the means to pay for an African safari, but he reasoned that he could at least afford zebras on his wallpaper." He commissioned his friend Franco Scalamandre to design wallpaper depicting leaping zebras pursued by arrows. The wallpaper is now synonymous with Gino's and made the place a New York institution. I often walk by it but have yet to eat there so I think I might have to make a reservation soon!

I have also read that Wes Anderson was a huge fan of the zebra wallpaper which is why he used it for Margot Tanenbaum's bedroom and bathroom in the movie The Royal Tanenbaums.

The zebra wallpaper was recently seen in the December issue of ELLE DECOR in a powder room designed by Miles Redd.

Interior designer Lindsey Coral Harper also used the iconic zebra wallpaper in her bathroom.

In addition to the original Masai Red color and the Serengeti Green in the Spades bathroom, it also comes in Zanzibar Gold and Safari Brown. I've never seen anyone use these colors though so if you have, please let me know. The best part of the story of Gino's is that Mr. Circiello's restaurant was a huge success and he was finally able to afford that trip to Africa! I love a story with a happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 | Shotidave - Digital Magazine