Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chic in LA: The Beverly Hills Hotel

One of the highlights of my time in LA was brunch with Christian of Maison21 and Becca of Rebecca June Interior Design at The Polo Lounge in The Beverly Hills Hotel. As you can see from my photos, the weather was gorgeous and we were so happy to have a fabulous table outside.

On our way there, my father called me and I practically hung up on him as approached the hotel because I was so excited! It is so iconic and beautiful that I had to pull out my camera!

There is something about all that pink and green that is cheerful and makes me think of Doris Day and Cary Grant! The hotel was opened in 1912 but became popular with film stars in the 1920's and experience it's heyday in the 1940's and remains popular to this day!

The hotel is also in a lovely part of Beverly Hills that makes it quiet and peaceful. You can stay at the hotel or in the bungalows which I can imagine would be very chic!

If you drive up in a fancy car, you get the privilege of having it parked at the front of the hotel for all to see.

I couldn't visit the hotel without photographing the famous Beverly Hills Hotel wallpaper now could I?! It lines the stairs down to The Fountain Coffee Room.

One of the best things about LA are all the leafy green trees and palms and it's fun that they brought the look inside the hotel.

We wanted to use this paper for the powder room for one of my projects but we ended up using a similar vintage paper. Can't wait until you can see it!

This is not the best photo since everyone is eating and I hated to disrupt their meal but you can see how the paper continues into The Fountain Coffee Room. I love the old fashioned chairs too!

Around the corner is a display case with historic photos from the hotel and down the hall is the gift shop where I had to buy a few souvenirs! Don't forget to ask for the matches too!

While we were on the patio enjoying our long, leisurely and laugh filled lunch, we saw this elegant woman in yellow sit down below us. She had on fabulous big black sunglasses and we took turned guessing who she might be. Was she married to a former studio head? Was she a film star of yester year? Was she a beloved regular? We were dying to know and thought about asking her if she minded if we took her photo but that seemed a little weird so we left her alone.

As fate would have it, she and her granddaughter walked down the hall when we were checking out The Fountain Coffee Room! We had to talk to her now! She was so sweet and could not have been nicer! Turns out her name is Gerry Sinclair whose nickname is GiGi is also known as Gorgeous Grandma! When we mentioned that we were all interior designers, she informed us that her husband had founded Sinclair Paints! How perfect is that?! Also, Kelly emailed me after she read my coverage to tell me that she works for the Kor Group who devloped the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills where I stayed! The story just keeps getting better and better!

She even posed like a movie star! My advice is that if you ever see someone who you think looks interesting or who you would like to meet, go for it! She was a spitfire who even took the necklace her granddaughter Kelly was wearing to lunch! She also told us how there used to be a hair salon on the same level that she used to visit, after which she would head to The Fountain Coffee Room to eat. She absolutely made our day!

On the way out, we had the valet take our photo. If I had know Becca was that tall, I would definitely have worn heels! It was such a fun day and I'm so glad that Becca made the long drive down and back join us!

One last funny story too. While we were waiting for the valet to bring our car, a couple walked up behind us. The husband told the valet he'd take that silver Rolls in the corner. The valet thought he was kidding! No joke, he really was the owner! Only in LA! They were so nice to let me take their photo too! Can you see them in the car smiling? I'd be smiling too if I was driving that gorgeous car home! I definitely recommend a trip to The Beverly Hills Hotel. You never know who you might meet!

Photos by Heather Clawson for Habitually Chic and one by the valet

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 | Shotidave - Digital Magazine